Effective Date: 1 April 2016
Your personal information will be retained by AbbVie for as long as necessary to fulfil the specified purpose explained on the Website and for AbbVie to comply with any applicable legal obligation.
There are two types of personal information for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998.
- "Personal Data" means information that identifies you or could reasonably be used to identify you and which is submitted to and/or collected by the Website and maintained by AbbVie in an accessible form. Examples of Personal Information include your name, your postal address, your email address and your telephone number.
- “Sensitive Personal Data” means data including, but not limited to: your ethnic origin, your religious beliefs, your physical or mental health condition, your sexual orientation.
each referred to separately as “Personal Data” or “Sensitive Personal Data” and collectively as “Personal Information”.
What types of information does AbbVie collect online?
- Personal Information You Submit: AbbVie collects Personal Information that you enter into data fields on the Website. For example, you may submit your name, postal address, email address, and/or other information in order to receive information about various subjects, register for AbbVie programmes, contact AbbVie customer service, or respond to AbbVie surveys. To protect your privacy, you should not provide AbbVie with any information that is not specifically requested.
- Passive Collection of Unidentifiable Technical and Web Browsing Information: The Website may collect information about your visits to the Website without you actively submitting such information. This information may include, for example, your browser type and language, your operating system, your Internet Protocol (IP) address, the URLs of websites you visited before and after visiting the Website, the web search that landed you on the Website, and web pages and advertisements you view and links you click on within the Website. This information may be collected using various technologies, such as cookies, internet tags, and web beacons. Your internet browser also automatically transmits some of this information to Websites, such as the URL of the website you just visited and the browser version your computer is operating. Please see the sections below for information on cookies.
Does AbbVie collect “Sensitive Personal Data”?
- AbbVie collects via some Websites, Sensitive Personal Data as described above. AbbVie shall adopt additional measures as required by local law for the processing of such information. Sensitive Personal Data will not be collected, transferred, stored or processed without your explicit consent.
How does AbbVie use Personal Information that I have provided?
- AbbVie will use the Personal Information you provide through the Website to respond to your questions and to provide you with an efficient service.
Will AbbVie combine Personal Information I provide on a Website with other personal information about me?
- AbbVie may combine the Personal Information that an individual provides on a Website with the Personal Information provided by that individual on other Websites.
- AbbVie may combine Personal Information that you provide to us online with our offline records.
- AbbVie may combine Personal Information that you have provided to us directly with records provided by third parties.
- AbbVie uses this consolidated information to help us better design our websites, AbbVie products, and to facilitate other business functions.
What choices do I have about how AbbVie collects and uses Personal Information about me?
- You may always limit the amount and type of Personal Information that AbbVie receives about you by choosing not to enter any Personal Information into forms or data fields on the Websites. Some of our online services can only be provided to you if you provide us with appropriate Personal Information. Other parts of the Website may ask whether you wish to opt into or opt out of our contact lists.
- Please see the section below for more information on how AbbVie secures the information you provide to us.
Does AbbVie share Personal Information with third parties?
- AbbVie may share Personal Information with third parties with whom AbbVie is jointly marketing a product or service or jointly conducting a programme or activity. It is AbbVie’s practice to notify you if you are registering for a programme which is conducted in conjunction with another company that may require access to your Personal Information.
- AbbVie may also share Personal Information with vendors with whom AbbVie contracts to carry out business activities for AbbVie. If AbbVie provides Personal Information to vendors to assist with business activities, such vendors must keep Personal Information confidential and only use Personal Information to perform functions for AbbVie.
- AbbVie may share Personal Information with a third party in connection with the sale or transfer of one of its product lines or divisions so that the buyer can continue to provide information and services.
- AbbVie reserves the right to disclose Personal Information in response to authorised information requests from government authorities, to address national security situations, or when otherwise required by law.
- Personal Information may be shared with health care professionals to provide support services. For the avoidance of doubt, Personal Information will only be collected on the condition that consent has been provided to such information being collected.
Who will have access to Personal Information about me?
- Your Personal Information can be accessed by a restricted number of authorised AbbVie employees and individuals working for AbbVie to provide the stated services; we train personnel about the importance of privacy and how to handle and manage data appropriately and securely and have procedures, processes and contracts in-place to help to ensure your Personal Information is secure and used in accordance with the service provided. As stated above, to provide the service we may share relevant parts of your Personal Information with other approved companies. Any information AbbVie has access to on the NHS network will be encrypted and subject to any applicable law will not be accessible by any AbbVie staff as per NHS information governance guidelines.
How does AbbVie secure Personal Information?
- It is AbbVie’s practice to secure each web page that collects Personal Information. However, the confidentiality of Personal Information transmitted over the internet cannot be guaranteed. We urge you to exercise caution when transmitting Personal Information over the internet, especially Sensitive Personal Data related to your health. AbbVie cannot guarantee that unauthorised third parties will not gain access to your Personal Information; therefore, when submitting Personal Information to Websites, you must weigh both the benefits and the risks.
- Any data that AbbVie stores will be encrypted to the established industry standards and further NHS security requirements as applicable.
Does AbbVie transfer Personal Information to different jurisdictions?
- AbbVie stores data on secured servers in several countries around the world as permitted by the law of England. Please be aware that Personal Information you provide to us, or we obtain as a result of your use of the Websites, may be processed and transferred to countries other than the country in which you are resident, including the United States. The privacy and data protection laws in such countries may not be equivalent to the laws in your country of residence. By using and participating in any Websites or providing us with your Personal Information, you consent to this collection, transfer, storage, and processing of information to and in such countries. For the avoidance of doubt, Sensitive Personal Data will not be collected, transferred, stored or processed without your explicit consent.
- Any information held and processed by AbbVie as part of applications or solutions provided to healthcare professionals and patients via the NHS network shall be stored in England only in accordance with the NHS information governance guidelines.
Does AbbVie collect Personal Information relating to healthcare professionals?
- AbbVie collects Personal Information relating to healthcare professionals, industry experts and opinion leaders with whom AbbVie has a business relationship. This Personal Information is in systems managed by AbbVie where the purpose is to allow AbbVie to meet regulatory reporting obligations, determine fair market value, manage services and relationships, manage payment obligations and respond to requests as required by law. The AbbVie systems contain Personal Information which may include information such as professional affiliations and contact details, as well as information about past and present activities that AbbVie may have with healthcare professionals, industry experts and opinion leaders.
How does AbbVie protect the privacy of children?
- AbbVie does not knowingly collect or use any Personal Information from children (we define "children" as minors younger than 13) on Websites. We do not knowingly allow children to communicate with us, or use any of our online services.
- If you are a parent and become aware that your child has provided us with information, please contact us using one of the methods specified below, and we will work with you to address this issue.
How may I correct Personal Information or delete it from current records?
- For our record keeping purposes and with your consent, we will retain certain Personal Information you submit in conjunction with commercial transactions.
- You may request that we remove your Personal Information from our current records or that we amend your Personal Information. Please notify us of your wishes by contacting us in one of the ways specified below.
Why do Websites use “cookies” and other tracking technologies?
- Passive information collection technologies can make your use of the Websites easier by allowing AbbVie to provide better service, customise sites based on consumer preferences, compile statistics, analyse trends, and otherwise administer and improve our websites. Certain features of the Websites may not work without use of passive information collection technologies.
- You can also learn more about cookies by visiting .
What types of cookies and other tracking technologies do Websites use?
- Websites use “session” cookies. Session cookies are temporary bits of information that are erased once you exit your web browser window or otherwise turn your computer off. Session cookies are used, for example, to improve navigation on our websites, block visitors from providing information where inappropriate (the site "remembers" previous entries of age or country of origin that were outside the specified parameters and blocks subsequent changes) and to collect aggregated statistical information.
- Websites use “persistent” cookies. Persistent cookies are more permanent bits of information that are placed on the hard drive of your computer and stay there unless you delete the cookie. Persistent cookies store information on your computer for a number of purposes, such as retrieving certain information you have previously provided (e.g., passwords), helping to determine what areas of the website visitors find most valuable, and customising the website based on your preferences on an on-going basis. Persistent cookies placed by this site on your computer may hold personally identifiable information, but only if you have registered or have otherwise consented to the retention of personally identifiable information you have provided at the site. Otherwise our site's server only knows that an unidentified visitor with your cookies has returned to the site.
- Websites use “Web Beacons” (also known as internet tags, single-pixel GIFs, clear GIFs, and invisible GIFs). A Web Beacon is a tiny graphic on a web page or in an email message that is used to track pages viewed or messages opened. Web Beacons tell the website server information such as the IP address and browser type related to the visitor's computer. Web Beacons may be placed on online advertisements that bring people to our site and on different pages of our site. Web beacons provide us with information on how many times a page is opened and which information is consulted; AbbVie does not use Web Beacons to collect Personal Information.
How can I contact AbbVie?
- If you have questions about the use, amendment, or deletion of Personal Information that you have provided to us, or if you would like to opt out of future communications from an AbbVie business or a particular AbbVie programme, please contact us by clicking on the "Contact” link on the Website you are visiting. Alternatively, you may send a letter to the following address: Attn: Data Protection Officer, AbbVie Ltd, Vanwall Business Park, Vanwall Road, Maidenhead, Berks, SL6 4UB.
- In all communications to AbbVie, please include the email address used for registration (if applicable), the website address or the specific AbbVie programme to which you provided Personal Information (e.g. AbbVie.com, etc.), and a detailed explanation of your request.
- If you would like to delete, amend or correct your Personal Information and are contacting us by email, please put "Deletion Request" or "Amendment/Correction Request", as applicable, in the subject line of the email. We will do our best to respond to all reasonable requests in a timely manner.
How will I know whether AbbVie has updated this policy?